Notifications
Clear all

Champion Generator. Better options?

Sam
 Sam
Admin
Topic starter
(@sam)

Getting a generator for emergency use.  Run my furnace in the winter or freezer in the summer if power goes out.  Eventually, hopefully next year, I'll have a solar array on top of the shop with battery backup I can tap into, and the generator would only be run through there to recharge in case of emergency.  I've pretty much settled on a Champion.  Duel fuel, 3800 watts.  Linked below.  Anyone have any better options?  Thoughts?  It's not going to be used a whole house generator, which is why I'm only going 3800, and has 14 hours run time, which is why I'm also not going larger.  Dual fuel is nice in a pinch, which is a big part of why I chose this.

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/201052-3800-watt-dual-fuel-generator/

8 Replies
NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)
Estimable Member

It looks like a solid choice. There are a few quirks that I don't care for like it requires a battery to start on gasoline in order to open the fuel solenoid, but other than that I'd say it's a good contender. I might recommend a battery tender or have a spare 12v source to get it started. 

2 Replies
NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)

Estimable Member

Also don't forget to have a good ground for it! A ground rod put in where you plan to run it is a good idea.

Sam
 Sam
Admin
(@sam)

@nukesmurphy interesting.  That's one thing I didn't notice.  Worse comes to worse, it looks like it could be started on propane on a dead battery.  But yeah, battery tender is probably good idea.

Brian
(@brian)

Just take note that starting watts of a furnace or air conditioner is often quite high compared to running watts. 3800 watts might not start your furnace or AC. 

2 Replies
Sam
 Sam
Admin
(@sam)

@brian my furnace is a gas, those average around 600 watts so that'll be fine, but I don't think it'd run the AC.   It's basically just an emergency backup so my freezer don't spoil everything.in the summer or my pipes don't freeze in the winter.

Eventually I'll have a full solar/battery backup system.

Brian
(@brian)

@sam gas furnaces, your probably g2g, electric furnaces are different. For example a typical fridge runs at 200 watts, but to start the compressor takes 1600 watts. Depends on the size of your furnace. Just something to think about for anyone else looking at a genny.

Sam
 Sam
Admin
Topic starter
(@sam)

So I think I've decided to go with this westinghouse generator over the champion.   Link below.   Main reason being, is I can find it in Sioux City, so I can pay cash for it.  Lol.  But they look pretty comparable, obviously that champion I posted has a little bit more wattage, but I can't see me ever maxing it out anyways, beings it just for emergencies.   If I could find the champion, I'd go that route, but I think either way I should be happy.  

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com/products/wgen3600df-generator-dual-fuel

1 Reply
NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)

Estimable Member

@sam sometimes what you can get is the best you can get. I think it'll work just fine!

Share:

%d bloggers like this: