Clear all

What do I buy?

Box
 Box
Admin
Topic starter
(@box)
Everyone's Favorite

Two options: Unity FAST Mount for my AR, or a flared magwell and mag bases for my carry?
I'm leaning towards magwell.

15 Replies
Sam
 Sam
Admin
(@sam)

Magwell and mag bases make more sense.  We're going into winter, chances of you getting out to shoot your AR anytime soon are slim, where you run your pistol everyday. 

Why do you want the fast mount?

Box
 Box
Admin
Topic starter
(@box)
Everyone's Favorite

Why wouldn't I want the fast mount?
I'm always looking for ways to make things more efficient and natural, and it seems to accomplish that, so I wanna check it out.

1 Reply
Brian
(@brian)

@box ill go against the grain and say the chances of having to reload in a SD scenario are statistically improbable. And a removable carry handle with mount gets you pretty close to the 1.93 mount height the fast mount will get you, but at a quarter the price...  but all things equal the carry gun always gets more attention on my end since its with you everyday.

NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)
Estimable Member

Neither? The fast mount is over priced. There are other alternatives which are cheaper and you don’t need the super high end since you aren’t using it in a duty environment. The mag well isn’t practical for a carry gun. If you setup something for competition, sure, but not for carry. Probably not the answer you were looking for. Lol

Box
 Box
Admin
Topic starter
(@box)
Everyone's Favorite

I subscribe to the Buy Once Cry Once mindset. My intent is to someday soon drop the cash for a high end AR that I can absolutely run the piss out of and not worry about. An end of the world rifle. And that's what the purpose of the FAST would be. If there are other less expensive options, I'd be willing to take a look at them, but I have yet to find a comparable 2.26" riser.

As for the magwell, I'm not wanting a gigantic competition magwell. It's Floyd's EDC magwell, very small, and I will have absolutely zero issues concealing it.

Lots of advantages with this, and I really hate the "statistically improbable" argument. I'm statistically improbable to ever need my gun, but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna carry that.

Advantages for this particular magwell:

I carry an M&P2.0 Compact. This means 15+1 rounds, and a shorter grip. The magwell would give me a little extra ledge at the bottom for my support hand. As it is, my support hand pinky just kinda hangs out down there, not doing much. Comparing my Compact to a full size M&P, the full size is almost perfect. It does have a little flare on the leading edge, that my support hand sits perfectly on. This magwell would give me just a little bit larger ledge than that, and having that extra support will help with control.
Some might say, "well why not just get a full size then if it's perfect?"
I already have the compact, I already have lots of trigger time with it, and it's already got an upgraded trigger. Going with the magwell and bases, I get the same amount of rounds out of my compact, with the added benefit of a flared magwell to ease reloads, but without any additional length over the full size.

I really don't like the "you probably won't need it," the "it might be a tiny bit uncomfortable or hard to conceal", and the "it's too expensive" arguments. I carry a firearm for the scenarios where I'll be fighting for my life, and I will take every God damn advantage I can take in that scenario. I'm pretty sure I won't be thinking about the couple hundred dollars I spent, or the couple days of adjustment it took to get used to something new in those moments.

Here's a picture so you know what I'm looking at Miles.

2 Replies
Brian
(@brian)

@box if your looking for an every advantage you can get argument, and price isnt a problem you'd be bettter off with a weapon mounted light and a red dot then a magwell, but to each his own.

Box
 Box
Admin
(@box)

Everyone's Favorite

@brian Agreed, those things are coming.

NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)
Estimable Member

Well, it sounds like you’ve got your mind made up! Magwell it is! You make a good case for it. The only reason I would argue would be for the sake of arguing. Lol. 

4 Replies
Box
 Box
Admin
(@box)

Everyone's Favorite

@nukesmurphy Damnit, I didn't intend to win so early. Argue with me!!

NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)

Estimable Member

@box you’re a stubborn idiot with more money than sense? Buy a Glock.

Box
 Box
Admin
(@box)

Everyone's Favorite

@nukesmurphy Ha! Thank you, much better. Kind of offensive though. Ya know, because I don't have much money at all.

NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)

Estimable Member

@box you caught that huh?

NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)
Estimable Member
2 Replies
Box
 Box
Admin
(@box)

Everyone's Favorite

@nukesmurphy Appreciate you lookin' out, but 1.93 is out of stock.

NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)

Estimable Member

@box boooooo

Share:

%d bloggers like this: