Prepper food/long t...

Notifications
Clear all

Prepper food/long term storage food to purchase

Darrin
Topic starter
(@rottluver)

Curious what folks are keeping on hand for long term emergency use. I am not talking about your own prepping/canning/etc, but more has anyone bought any commercially available buckets of food...like LAPG has several options but I have no idea if they are any good or if they are trash.

Open to hearing about ideas that aren't me learning how to can/grow/etc  

8 Replies
Sam
 Sam
Admin
(@sam)

Hey Darrin, welcome to the forum.  So I've got a couple different brands.  Mountain House, of course, seems to be the most popular.  I've only got a little of that.  But my bigger stash is 4patriots.  Linked below.  I did quite a little youtube research and that was one that everyone could agree on tasted really good.  I've tried a little of it, and they were right, it does.  I purchased the month supply and I found it was very reasonable pricewise, but that was about a year and a half ago probably, I haven't checked prices lately.  Although, I should look into getting some more. 

*Now that I'm looking at it, a lot of their stuff is out of stock, but there's still the 1 weeks supply kits in stock.   How much are you looking to stock up on?

https://4patriots.com/

2 Replies
Darrin
(@rottluver)

@sam I appreciate the info. I am not entirely sure why/what I am doing quite yet, other than attempting to not be caught flat footed if something happens. That being said, I do travel by car a LOT, and I travel from Idaho to WA and to CA and AZ and NE regularly so I definitely want something to leave in the car so if, when I am on the road, weather or some other unforeseen situation arises, I am not left starving and in trouble.

I think a week's supply for now would be great so I am going to give that place a try!

Sam
 Sam
Admin
(@sam)

@rottluver I see they got some emergency food bars that might fit that bill for ya.  If ya do go ahead and get something, let us know how it is.  I've only tried a little, but I need to purchase some more as well.  Those bars might be next on my list for my go bag.

NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)
Estimable Member

Welcome! I'm curious about this too. All I have is water storage and canned goods. I need to get something like this going.

Sam
 Sam
Admin
(@sam)

Couple other things.  Spaghetti is a great item to stack.  The noodles stay good for who knows how long and of course the sauce is good for several years.  Cheap and filling.   Another item i've been thinking about is shelf stable milk.  I didn't even know this was a thing until we ran across some in the store on the shelf, and the good by date was like 6 months in the future.  lol.

Anyways, it's real milk, it tastes great, so my thought is rotate that out on the shelf, keep a stock of mac n cheese, and in a SHTF situation, you have good milk for at least 6 months.   Would be invaluable, especially for those with kids.  Side note, after it's opened, it needs refrigerated, so you need power for that still of course.  

Just a couple more ways you can supplement your 25 year shelf life food.

2 Replies
NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)

Estimable Member

@sam I do have a couple bags of powdered milk. Not as good as shelf stable milk, but there's an option too!

Darrin
(@rottluver)

@sam I don't particularly like milk, but I LOVE the spaghetti idea. Easy, doesn't spoil and can be combined with other things to mix things up a bit. I don't have kids, so it's just my dogs and I. I always have a ton of extra food on hand for them, not sure why I have never stocked up for myself

Brian
(@brian)

Some staple items can be purchased from the church of LDS. They have an online store. Their speghetti bites have a total of 27,720 calories which is like 14 days worth of calories for 32.00

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/food-storage-3074457345616678849-1

Share:

%d bloggers like this: