Clear all

Gas Masks

Box
 Box
Admin
Topic starter
(@box)
Everyone's Favorite

One thing I think is actually still somewhat uncommon for people like us to look into is gas masks. Body armor is becoming more common, but gas masks are still lagging behind a little I think. Picking up traction, but still behind. Which is a little odd, because in today's society, I don't think it's outlandish to actually need one. I mean, look at how often tear gas is used. All the time. It seems gas masks still have this, "oh come on, what possible situation would I ever need that for" stigma around them. Like most people view them as only being necessary in the event of chemical warfare or something. 
But they're actually not a large investment at all, much smaller than armor. 
Sure, probably less likely to be a need in rural areas like ours, but still.
What're your thoughts on them? Have you considered the investment? 

5 Replies
NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)
Estimable Member

I am lucky enough to have one already, but yes they are very good investments since you can use them double duty. I have a set of 3M masks I use for metal work and grinding which can be adapted to use for a tear gas situation. MSA makes very good products as well. If you get into biological threats that’s where things get a bit more pricey, but for generic riot control level stuff it is quite accessible. 

Sam
 Sam
Admin
(@sam)

Definitely not something that I've included in my preps, but I'm not opposed to it.  Although I do struggle to think of too many instances where I'd need one.  Yes, if you're around tear gas, say in a riot or something, but I think for the most part, avoidance of that is the better option.  Maybe if there's another chemical leak at the elevator in town?

What are something other instances you'd see us needing one in a rural setting?

Box
 Box
Admin
Topic starter
(@box)
Everyone's Favorite

Unforeseeable situations, who knows. Door-to-Door forced vaccines, tear gas you out?
Point is, it's not unheard for them to be needed.
I'm sure it's pretty unlikely, but for ~$200, why not?

2 Replies
Sam
 Sam
Admin
(@sam)

@box very true.  Did you just watch Colion Noir's video on this?  See he just posted one yesterday.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAE9SqbYuBw

NukesMurphy
(@nukesmurphy)

Estimable Member

@sam I went to the MSA sight linked in the video. I'd definitely wait for the CM-8M to be released to buy. Or you can get a mil-surplus Avon M50 for a hundo more. https://tntacticalsupply.com/product/3m-fr-m40-us-military-surplus-gas-mask-including-new-sealed-filter-2/

Share:

%d bloggers like this: